BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mama Don't Play

Since I teach Science and History, a huge part of learning these subjects is review, review, review. We have a Science test Friday so in one of my crazier moments I decided we would play “Trash Can Basketball” during my three classes of Science. I have played this game every year that I have taught (yes, even during preschool). The students LOVE it. Some LOVE it a little too much. They take this game very seriously and get very worked up when things are working for them or working against them. The students tend to get a little rambunctious and things sometimes get a little noisy. Today was no exception.

It was fourth period. I had explained the rules for the 10th time. The students know that they only get three fouls. Three fouls and game over. Fouls are given for the rowdiness of it all. This fourth period class is CHALK FULL of…boys. Loud, boisterous boys. I love them, but it doesn’t work in my favor when trying to control a class review game.

Anyway, at one point in the game, they were about to receive their 3rd foul. As I turned to grab the marker to put it on the board, one young man we’ll call “D” decided to yell out to the class “Shut the Freak Up!” It worked alright. Everyone got silent, dropped their mouths, then started mumbling under their breath. I was not really shocked, it was only a matter of time. I sent him to the hallway.

I spoke to him of the seriousness of the matter. I asked him if when he heard people talking like that, was his first though “Wow..they must really love Jesus.” To which he responded, No. I went on to say how only he can control HIS reactions and I will control the class. He knows that if he does this again….referral…detention….not good.

I also took the liberty of emailing his mom! Within 3 minutes I had a reply with an apology, 4 phone numbers of where she can be reached and an invitation to inform her of ANY further trouble and the promise that she would take care of it tonight.

I smiled! I LOVE having parents on my side (sadly, they are fewer and fewer these days)

I thought that was it. I was pleased.

Until.

During Study Hall about an hour later, “D” gets called to the office. I send him. About 2 minutes later, there he is, WITH his mother, standing in the hallway apologizing to me. She took time out of her day to come let him know that “Mama Don’t Play!”

Thank you Mama!

Until next time,
Sam

2 comments:

H said...

That cracked me up...thank God for parents who still care!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Wow that's awesome!! You're right...VERY few parents (sadly) side with the teachers anymore. It used to never be a question, but now too many children have a sense of entitlement, given to them by their parents. I'll stop before I get into my rant here!! :)