BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Panic

This past Sunday, Clint and I didn't have to work in Children's Church so we were upstairs taking part in the Sunday morning church service. As soon as the Pastor went to the invitation time, I slipped out to make my way downstairs to the kiddos. We were trying a new dismissal pattern from children's church, so I wanted to assist the teachers and kids as best I could.

When I arrived downstairs, the 4Kers-1st graders were busily finishing up their craft. The 2-5th grade boys were in the lesson room and the 2-5th grade girls were finishing up snack. I was chatting with one of the teachers in the snack room when another teacher came in. He said to his wife "Lori, I can't find Trent and Jacob. Help me find them."

I didn't start to panic right then. I thought for sure they would be in the bathroom. After a quick check of the bathroom with no luck, my heart started to race. We looked everywhere we could in a span of about 1 minute and a half. I was VERY close to running upstairs to get their parents to inform them that we lost their children, when I heard someone say "we found them!" I felt immediate relief, then immediate frustration when I found out their were hiding! They had snuck down the hallway into an empty classroom and stood their with the purpose of hiding from their friends. Both boys are in 4th grade. They saw me come into the lesson room, and KNEW it was not going to be a good conversation we were about to have!

I informed them that church was not the place to be silly like that. I gave them the do's and dont's and let them know I would be telling their parents. I also told them that my heart was about to beat out of my chest and that they had 5 adults searching for them. They were shocked.

At the end of children's church, I had to tell their parents. Both sets were very understanding and very much shocked at their behavior. The most awkward part came when I had to tell the parents of the second boy...his dad is my BIG boss at school, the principal. WOW!

All is well now, but boy was I scared! I checked my school mail box today and got a letter from one of the boys that said this:

"Dear Mrs. Thompson, I'm sorry for hiding during church. It was wrong. It won't happen again. Thank you for taking care of us in children's church. I love Children's Church. From Trent.
P.S. If you want to write a note back, put it in my mom's box."

What a cutie! I am even more impressed with the fact that his parents made him write me a note. SO not the norm these days!

Until next time,
Sam

4 comments:

Kel said...

Good for Trent's parents! and I'm glad they were ok! It's my nightmare to lose someone else's kiddo!

rickaren said...

I lost a kid when I babysat back in the day. . .the kid was hiding. I let her have it.
Glad that all turned out well!

H said...

KIDS! You love them, but they drive you crazy! I lost one on a Field Trip one time and was pretty sure I was going to jail! Where was he? Buying a snack! Crazy! I'm glad you got the letter...some parents are still in touch!

Megan said...

I have a feeling Allison will be writing several notes in her future...