BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 7, 2009

Doctor's Visit

One week ago from tomorrow was our very first doctor's visit! I set up the appointment the day after we found out due to me being a new patient. As the days passed leading up to December 1st, my excitement abounded! I was INCREDIBLY sick. I have never been so sick in my life! Needless to say, I was so ready to see a doctor and get something to help out with being so sick.

Clint drove from Thomasville and picked me up at school right as I dropped my students off for P.E. class. I jumped in the jeep and almost lost it! I couldn't quite figure out how I was going to survive a doctor's appointment without hurling all over the place. I think the nerves were messing with me too!

After driving around the hospital parking garage forever searching for a parking place, we finally got one. In we went and sat for just a few minutes while I filled out paperwork...lots of paperwork! The wait wasn't bad and I was very impressed with all of the nurses and midwives that I got to meet.

First, I had to pee in a cup. I guess they send it off and test it for lots of things. Then we went into this little room where we answered thousands more questions. The subject of the flu shot was brought up, where I politely declined both of them and asked the nurse not to tell my mom! :) (My mom would be very disappointed, however the nurse didn't say it was that necessary) At this point, the nurse lady told me to roll up my sleeves! YIKES! (If you know me, you know my tolerance of pain is very minimal) So, one needle and 8 vials of blood later, I survived. It really wasn't that bad, I just closed my eyes, grabbed Clint's hand and kept breathing!

After the blood room, we went to an exam room. At this point, all I wanted someone to do was say "Yes, Mrs. Thompson, there IS a baby in there!" I was still seeking reassurance. That didn't come for a while though. I made it through the entire exam, inside and out, pushing and prodding and spoke with my midwife for a bit. She went on a rattled off an entirely memorized shpeel about morning sickness. I wanted to interject and say "look, nice lady, I have tried ALL of that and NONE of that helps," but I refrained. She kindly told me that since I am 11 weeks pregnant, if it doesn't clear up in a week or so, to call her back and request a perscription to be called in.

Off we went to the sonogram room. Here is where I began to feel like a little girl. I just KNEW I survived the "not so pleasant" part of an OB visit. I buttoned my pants and just KNEW that part was over. I had visions of them squirting the gel on my belly and rubbing around for baby. Boy was I wrong. Apparently, when the baby is the size of a pea, you can't do that! See what I mean about being a little girl. So, I took care of business and listened intently as the sonogram technician explained exactly what was about to happen. As she did her job, my eyes were glued to the screen. I was so nervous and excited all at the same time. There it was...so little...and so perfect...with its little heart just a beating. 150 bpm to be exact, I was so proud. I cried! (not surprising to most of you, I know) What an amazing experience. As she performed measurement after measurement, she kept saying everything looked good and was just the right size. She then told me, that I was most definately NOT 11 weeks, but a mere 7 1/2. My first thought was of the sickness and the fact that I thought for sure it was almost over. Bummer. But, we are so fine with it all. She picked a new due date for us, July 17, 2010. Sounds like a good day to me!

On our way out, the midwife with the drug power informed me that she just called in a perscription for me! WooHoo!

As of now, I am feeling pretty good. I make sure to take that medicine every single time 6 hours passes...without fail! Other than being abnormally exhausted...all is well! I am able to cook a little, eat a little and look alive while teaching!

Our next appointment is January 5th! I can't wait to see our baby on that screen again! I am so in love!

Until next time,
Sam

4 comments:

rickaren said...

Be sure to take a picture of yourself once a week-- I wanna see the progression! I'm so excited for you!

H said...

I'm so glad your medicine is kicking in...I can't imagine standing and keeping control of a class all day when you feel like crap! Loving hearing the story again:)

Anonymous said...

Your abnormal tiredness is perfectly normal! Rest every chance you get and take it easy on yourself! Love you and can't wait for more updates.

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Just remember - the sickness is a good thing! I always had to tell myself that and it helped some. :) Glad you got some medicine that helps though! So excited for you!!