BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 15, 2010

Sticks and Stones

I am not one to blog 2 days in a row (hopefully tomorrow will make 3 for my 14W update) BUT…here is my question…

Why are people so mean?

In the past 24 hours I have been “chewed out” by 3 different people. All parents of my students.

In the 6 years I have taught I have only had ONE run-in with parents for saying to their precious sweet baby “Quit acting like a punk and sit down.” Bad choice of words, yes, but the truth hurts. (Remember that Holly? Oh my!)
Anyway, the events of the last 24 hours a making me wonder if I am losing it!

A few days ago, I caught a girl cheating on her quiz. I saw it with my own two eyes and made sure to KNOW that this is what was happening before I took action. She somewhat denied it, but had no problem getting a zero and getting a referral to the dean. But now…all of a sudden…when she finds out she has to stand in front of the Honor Committee (a group of her peers) and explain her side of the story to figure out what her punishment would be…she didn’t do it. I had to talk to her mom to explain the situation, and before finding out about the Honor Committee, she understood. NOW…today I pull her in the hall to explain what she would have to do at the Honor Committee , she responds “but what if I didn’t do it?” “my mom even knows I didn’t do it” My blood was boiling! I simply sent her back to her desk and told her from this point on, she would have to discuss it with the principal. REDICULOUS. I am all about protecting my child, but get a grip. So, mom emails me with excuse after excuse and explanation and more concerned about her kid not missing cheerleading practice. Did I say ridiculous? REDICULOUS!!!!

THEN, today was the Honor Roll lunch. The kids get to go off campus to the mall to eat lunch and shop a little. It is a huge incentive to them to do well. The kids don’t get their report cards until next Tuesday, and some of them were unsure if they were on the honor roll. I get it. So I got on the email and requested a list be sent. For some reason, 7 names were left off. Apparently the computer program we use for grades had a glitch. But this is something TOTALLY out of my hands. But, you guessed it, I am the one that gets the email that said “I am disappointed in your lack of communication” and blah blah blah….REDICULOUS!!! I simply forwarded it to the principal and she took it from there! I am so sick of these parents that need to learn how to take a deep breath before emailing.

Lastly, I confiscated a cell phone today. Texting momma in the bathroom is not acceptable. I simply emailed to inform mom to let her know that he would get his phone today since it was his first offense but that next time, it would be turned into the office which meant that only mom or dad could pick it up. Anyway, I get a reply stating “And for the record, I do know the rules about the cell phones, which is ridiculous and I don’t know how you could even enforce this type of rule.”

Seriously?

I need a big tall, ice cold, diet coke and a Mr. Goodbar. I need it! (not gonna happen, no caffine, little sugar..not gonna happen)

Until next time,
Sam

2 comments:

Kel said...

Hang in there you! Dealing with people is always the hardest part of any job. And yours is handling other people's preciouses.

I will think of you when my precious does something naughty at school! :D And I'll pray for your patience in the meantime.

H said...

Thanks for the laugh at the memory of that HORRIBLE word "punk"!!! I mean really, what were you thinking?!?!?":):):) Parents...they're such a blessing! I'm really eager to find out how we react once our children come along! Something tells me that the teachers will love us, because we haven't forgotten how hard their job is!!! Like I always say, if they would spend ONE DAY in our classrooms, the world would be a different place...

Hang in there! Love you!