BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"So, what do you do?"

This is the first time in a while that I have been asked this question.  I went to the eye doctor this morning. (Not a good appointment.  Something is wrong with my left cornea, so I have to go back Saturday after not wearing contacts for three days to see if it has healed itself. UGH!)  Anyway, as the doctor was writing things down, he asked me..."So, what do you do?"

And for the first time in 9 years, I had to pause before I answered. 

I rambled around and finally spit out that I start a new job, working for the city, tomorrow.

I've taught for 9 years.  It is all I've known for 9 years.  And, starting tomorrow, I have a whole new way of thinking to learn.  Like, not shoving my lunch down my throat since I get a whole hour.  Or, to get in my car in the middle of the day to run an errand isn't a weird thing.  Of course this list could go on, but I won't bore you.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of having an identity crisis.  I know for a FACT that it was time for me to be done at my last school.  I know for a FACT that God opened the doors for us to move where we have family.  I know we've done the right things and that we are where we are supposed to be.

However, I can't shake the whole "not-teaching" thing.  I am hoping once the shelves are cleared of the school supplies and once school is officially back in session, I will be over it.  Maybe I will be over it when I can walk in the door at 5:15, drop my stuff and hug my babies and not worry about grading this or writing that or reading this or calling that parent. 

I love being a teacher.  I really loved what went on in the classroom...all the rest of the nonsense, not so much, but actually teaching, I loved.  I hope one day to get back to it, but for now am anxiously anticipating what our new life looks like. 

So, from now on, when I am asked what I do, I will say it proudly and hold my head high. 

Stay tuned for details on my new job...

Until next time,
Sam

1 comments:

H said...

I get it. Totally get it. Felt that way when I went to the bank. Praying for you, Chica. Also..."shove my lunch down my throat"...bahahaha! Too true!:)